Am I eligible for financial assistance?

Eligible students are able to apply for student loans and allowances. Please note that a student must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident to be eligible. Forms can be obtained from Studylink Centre, Private Bag 11070, Palmerston North (Freephone 0800 88 99 00 or via the Studylink website). You can also apply for your loan online through the website.

For any queries, please feel free to contact our office and talk to one of our staff who will be only too happy to assist.

What is a student loan?

A Student Loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees charged by your education provider), study materials (eg, books, computer, travel) and living costs, but you'll have to pay it back.

What type of allowance can I get?

There are 2 types of allowance that a student can get below:

  1. Student Allowance - A weekly payment that can help with your living expenses (travel, food etc) while you’re studying. You don't have to pay back the Student Allowance but you need to meet the criteria.

  2. Loan Living Costs - The Student Loan living costs is similar to the Student Allowance but you have to pay it back. Living costs are a part of a student loan so you’ll have to apply and you will need to pass the eligibility test.

For further details regarding loans, allowances and course related costs, check out the Studylink website.