Checklist for International Students
Step 1. Student makes contact
Fill in an audition form online
(or download a hard copy of audition form Audition/Interview Form)
Step 2. Book Audition
An Audition time is booked if you are in New Zealand, otherwise you will need to prepare a video audition
Step 3. Audition process
Send a DVD or Internet link to school and Audition panel assesses whether a place will be offered to you based on performance ability and English language skills (at least IELTS 5.5 or equivalent).
There are a number of requirements for a video audition that will help us make a fair assessment of your abilities.
Video audition requirements are as follows:
- For your chosen major subject, you will need to perform two pieces of contrasting styles that are each approximately two minutes in length.
- If you chose a minor subject (e.g. music, drama, dance etc) – you will also need to perform one piece for around two minutes.
- Interview process: Please talk to us about yourself for a least two minutes in English and tell us what experience you’ve had and any additional information you feel is relevant to your application. You can include in your video audition any performance footage you may have done (if this footage is of you performing with a number of people, please be sure to identify which person is you.
We ask that your video audition does not exceed 15 minutes.
Please enclose with your video audition a recent photograph and if not done so already a completed audition form. Please also make sure that you have passed on the EXCEL reference form to a community or Christian leader who knows you well enough to fill it out. When they have completed the form, they need to send it to the school office at: PO Box 15 357, New Lynn, Auckland, New Zealand.
The minimum age for entry is 18. It should be noted that we have no beginner courses available. In the audition, we are looking for evidence of previous experience or training and that the applicant has sufficient skill and talent to cope with the demands of the course. All applicants are notified by mail or e-mail of their acceptance or otherwise into the course.
If you require any additional information, please contact our school office (0064 9 827 7327).
Step 4. Offer of Place
If successful in your audition we will send you an official letter offering you a place in the school. This letter contains the following information:
- The name of the course and the minimum time required for completing it, and
- Proof that the course and the course provider meet New Zealand’s requirements for international students, and
- The amount of the fee for the complete course, and
- Whether you have to pay course fees and whether the fees are domestic or foreign fees, and
- Whether you are studying full time or part time.
- That the course is approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
This letter is on letterhead and can be used later to apply for a Student Visa.
Along with this “Offer of Place” you are sent the information pack and the enrolment form.
The Information pack contains information about:
- support services,
- grievance procedures,
- withdrawal procedures,
- details of the student fee protection and refunds policy,
- arrangements for recognition of prior learning,
- credit transfer processes,
Step 5 Acceptance of Place
You then need to confirm that you want to accept the offer of a place at the school. This can be by email.
Step 6 Fee Payment
Once you accept your place you must pay the fees. You cannot be enrolled until you have a valid student visa and the New Zealand government requires that fees are paid in advance before a visa can be issued.
Once you have made the fees payment, an official payment letter will be sent to you. This letter will assist with applying for a Student Visa/Permit.
Step 7. Applying for Student Visa/Permit
As the course is longer than 3 months you must apply for a Student Visa. These forms can be downloaded from the New Zealand Immigration website (look for the Student visa/Permit Application Forms http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
Step 8. Complete Enrolment Process
You can complete the enrolment form and send this to Excel which will proceed to begin the enrolment process. We will complete the process when the Visa/Permit is sighted in the passport.
You should proceed to obtain appropriate medical and travel insurance for your journey to New Zealand and must also organize your own accommodation.
Step 9. On the first day of school, please bring:
1) Your passport to verify that you have received your student visa.
2) Your parent/next of Kin information if it has not already been supplied on your enrolment form.
or download an Audition/Interview Form
and Reference Form
Learn more about:
The Application Process
Application Process for International Students
What do I have to do in the Audition?
Audition Dates for 2013 Intake
2013 Reference Form
2013 Audition/Interview form